Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:17:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Extending the sysctl MIB for Linuxulator variables

> >Given that "ABI" is a bit obscure, kern.compat is the only sensible
> >choice.
>
> I think that is too obscure considering the exposure this will get.

What "exposure"?  It's a backend to a tuning interface for our ABI
compatibility...

> It doesn't really matter much what we feel about it, linux will be
> a native and 100% normal binary format for us, if we try to
> marginalize it we loose in perception.

I don't see how organising the sysctl namespace in a tidy fashion
constitutes "marginalising" anything.

> We have things to make us posix compatible at the top level already,
> I don't see why the linux stuff should live under the top level too.

One wrong...

> And as father of sysctl, I think this discussion needs to come to
> a close rather than waste more bandwidth, so unless Mike can convince
> us why "Adding anything at the top level would be a terrible mistake"
> I think the conclusion is "linux.*"

For the same reason that fattening any top-level namespace is a bad
idea.  I mean, why not just put all the Linux libraries in /lib where
they expect to be?

From the perspective of an integrated namespace, we've already made the
wrong moves insofar as vm.* should be kern.vm.*, vfs.* should be
kern.vfs.*, etc.  Either the entire kernel namespace should have a
presumed leading kern. (and the existing kern.* nodes need to move) or
we should relocate stuff to reflect a more ubuquitous naming
arrangement.

(btw, you're not the "father" of sysctl.  I might go for "perpetrator"
 or "culprit" though.)

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org