Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 14:23:15 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel GPU driver import

--4ECF1u7dKBoUGhe3

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:39:50AM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> With r235375, all required VM support for new Intel GPU driver was
> committed into HEAD. There are still some things to improve and
> change, but now the all.14.9.patch does not touch anything outside agp
> or drm.  This allows to start the process of importing the new Intel
> GPU driver into HEAD.
>=20
> I am writing this as initial head-up and to discuss some questions,
> for which I do have answers but would prefer to have additional
> feedback from people doing Xorg work.
>=20
> The patch as-is just replaces the Intel DRI1 bits with DRI2
> driver. Patch added most of the KMS infrastructure into DRM
> core. Also, patch completely changed the locking model used by Intel
> driver. I made absolutely minimal efforts needed to keep other DRI1
> drivers compilable. Despite that, I got several surpising reports that
> Radeon DRI1 still works.
>=20
> That said, for import I can (first choice) just apply the patch,
> replacing the Intel driver with new one. Or (second choice) I may
> create another directory, say sys/dev/drm2, and import _only_ Intel
> driver together with updated DRM core, there.
>=20
> The positive points to the second approach is that we still have older
> kernel drivers around. Also, I have more freedom in changing the DRM
> core, without fearing breakage in the DRI1 land. Since I do not really
> want to deal with Gen2-3 hardware, and VGA console does not work with
> new driver (yet), there are definite advantages.
>=20
> On the other hand, driver automatic loading will not work with
> dev/drm2 approach. New driver have to use different module name to
> co-exist with dri1 driver, so ddx driver cannot load new driver by old
> name. As result, users need to manually kldload new driver before
> starting Xorg.
>=20
> My own preference is to implement second choice and put the driver
> into dev/drm2.

The commit candidate of the Intel driver patch is available at
http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/drm/all.15.0.patch

The driver module is named i915kms, the drm core is drmn (not drm2).
You need to explicitely kldload i915kms before Xorg server start.

Unless some surprising news pop up, I plan to commit the agp rewrite during
the weekend, and the driver itself some days later.

--4ECF1u7dKBoUGhe3

--4ECF1u7dKBoUGhe3--