Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:30:03 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014402603.cd6cb2@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Subject:   Re: Natural stone tables

Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > What's needed is spam reduction technology. TMDA could deal with this
> > in a way that was painless for subscribers and nearly painless for
> > non-subscribers. Now that I've installed it, the only spam I get is
> > from the freebsd lists. But - who do we talk to about getting it done?
> Isn't this like mandating that the entire population of the US wear
> bullet-proof vests intead of arresting the people who are shooting?

You may have misunderstood me. I'm not advocating that everyone
install TMDA. I'm advocating that TMDA be installed at freebsd.org,
and used to filter mail to the lists.

If you're arguing that spam reduction software is inferior to
arresting the spammers, I won't argue. The problem is that we're a
long way from being able to arrest spammers, and the spam reduction
software is here now. There's no reason we can't use what's available
while waiting for something better to become possible.

	<mike