Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:58:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   16C650 setup questions...

   I have gotten a number of conflicting and/or overly vague answers to
this question, so I thought I'd ask the experts (and yes, I have
already searched the mail archives for this data)...

   How do I properly setup an ST16C650-based port under FreeBSD? The card
in question is a Boca Research IO652, which is a plain-jane dual
ST16C650-based I/O card with a jumper-based hardware-only setup (my favorite).
One of the ports is disabled (it isn't needed at the moment), and the
other is set for 0x3E8, irq 5 (and no, I don't have a sound card in this
machine). I'm currently running FBSD 2.2.6R. There are no device conflicts
at the address or interrupt level as far as I can determine.

   I am using the following device setup in my kernel config:

device sio2 at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty flags 0x20000 irq 5 siointr

   Which compiles ok, and runs ok (up to a max rate of 115.2 kbaud), but
the port is identified as a 16550 (or compatible) by dmesg. I *really*
need this port to run at 230.4 kbaud (the card is capable of a max of
460.8 kbaud), and having the kernel correctly would be nice...

   I checked /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c, and I found a reference for
detecting the 16C650 and its shadow registers (when cfcr == 0xff).
Wonderful! How do I use it? I tried changing the "#if 0" at line 864 to "#
if 1" just to test, but this had no apparent effect (but then again, I'm
not a systems programmer).

   What mods (if any) do I need to make to sio.c (and/or sio.h) to make
this port work the way I want it to? And what changes (if any) to I need
to make to my kernel config concerning this device?

--Rick Pelletier
Lead Tech, DCSI Hunstville
256.536.4585

P.S. I think I'll be taking up C programming as a hobby--right after I
have my therapist gives me more potent anti-psychotics (grin)...