Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:13:38 -0500
From:      beemern@telecom.ksu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   locking after upgrading to 4.1-STABLE

I decided to "fix" my non-broken system, and go from 4.0-STABLE to
4.1-STABLE
i cvsup'd the src tree and following the web instructions for make'ing
world.
i've also recompiled my kernel and remade devices etc.

now.. i'm having issues with any net services.  i've disabled all inetd
services and apachectl.
the system is 'fine' (seemingly) if i log in and run X and do standard
stuff like email, netscape, irc, etc...

but, if i try to run any network services...  something like:

apachectl start
(try connecting to it via web and get nothing)
apachectl stop  (always results in momentary lock, and then spontaneous
reboot)

if i enable my ftp server and try connecting from another machine.. it
will cause a system freeze which requires hard reset.

also.. it would hang during boot when loading sshd and i had to reboot
and disable sshd init to even get it to ever boot

i've tried with both the generic kernel, and my prev kernel config (with
new build tho) and get same thing.  i looked in LINT for anything 'new'
that might apply.. but didn't see anything

any ideas on where to even START with this situation.  i'm quite sure it
can't be hardware since this system has run FLAWLESS for the past
several months.. since, ironically, i went from 4.0-RELEASE to
4.0-STABLE, which went smoothly.

if it matters, its a dual pIII/550 256MB ram workstation, which, up
until now has just been a GEM of a box to work on... i'd hate to have to
re-install from scratch and patch my system together from backups

many thanks
nathan
p.s.  "if it ain't broke.. DON'T FIX IT!"