Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:28:26 +0900
From:      Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@u-aizu.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andreas Kreuzinger <kreuzing@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Subject:   authentication for nis-user fails, only local user can login

--------------F0A695BDB52020DD498DB5F4

I installed FreeBSD 3.4 release and Kame v6 kernel and then configured

nis. Now I have this mysterious problem that Andreas had about a year ago.

I installed des and kerberos after the main installation was completed (because the ftp site did not have

des and kerberos libraries), and maybe because of this I am using MD5 ( the encrypted passwords start with $1)

NIS and amd are working fine and I can su to the user accounts from root.

(authentication for nis-user fails, only local user can login)

Any help?

Behcet Sarikaya
Computer Communications Lab.
The University of Aizu
Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizu-wakamatsu City
Fukushima, 965-8580 Japan
Tel. +81-242-37-2559 Fax. +81-242-37-2742
Home page:  http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~sarikaya/
email: sarikaya@u-aizu.ac.jp

--------------F0A695BDB52020DD498DB5F4

<pre>I installed FreeBSD 3.4 release and Kame v6 kernel and then configured</pre>

<pre>nis. Now I have this mysterious problem that Andreas had about a year ago.</pre>

<pre>I installed des and kerberos after the main installation was completed (because the ftp site did not have</pre>

<pre>des and kerberos libraries), and maybe because of this I am using MD5 ( the encrypted passwords start with $1)</pre>

<pre>NIS and amd are working fine and I can su to the user accounts from root.</pre>

<pre>(authentication for nis-user fails, only local user can login)</pre>

<pre>Any help?</pre>

<pre>&nbsp;
Behcet Sarikaya
Computer Communications Lab.
The University of Aizu
Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizu-wakamatsu City
Fukushima, 965-8580 Japan
Tel. +81-242-37-2559 Fax. +81-242-37-2742&nbsp;
Home page:&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~sarikaya/">http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/~sarikaya/</A>;
email: sarikaya@u-aizu.ac.jp</pre>
&nbsp;</html>