Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 14:33:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        rashid@haven.ios.com (Rashid Karimov.)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alias ( secondary IP ) for Ethernet Ifaces in FreeBSD

> 		Hi there folx,
>
> 	Is it working ?
> 	If yes - how can one set it up ? What's the correct format for
> 	the command ? Should it be reflected somehow in ifconfig output
> 	or netstat ?

Co-incidentally I've spent the last few days playing with this and
after talking with Garret, who explained a few problems I was
seeing, my conclusion is that it works but it needs some time spent
on it to make it more useable. A netstat -i will show up the alias
but I plan to look at revamping ifconfig to be more alias friendly
after 2.0.5 goes out.

> 	For example , I have ep0 iface and I want to assign the
> 	secondary( alias) IP address to it .
> 	What command should be issued ?
>
> 	ifconfig ep0 alias 199.199.199.22

If you can ping it then it worked, ifconfig's command line is a bit of a mess
since "alias" is treated as a flag and putting it just about anywhere works.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.isl.cf.ac.uk/