Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:26:27 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minfree: Which is wrong: newfs(8) or tunefs(8) ?

On Thu, 08-Feb-2001 at 15:23:38 +0000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> I worked for a company once whose *only* technical documentation
> was a line for each program that said:
>
> "Documentation: Refer to source for more info"

Hmm, you are right. According to ffs_alloc.c I would assume
that 5% is correct:

               /*
                 * Allocate an exact sized fragment. Although this makes
                 * best use of space, we will waste time relocating it if
                 * the file continues to grow. If the fragmentation is
                 * less than half of the minimum free reserve, we choose
                 * to begin optimizing for time.
                 */
                request = nsize;
                if (fs->fs_minfree <= 5 ||
                    fs->fs_cstotal.cs_nffree >
                    (off_t)fs->fs_dsize * fs->fs_minfree / (2 * 100))
                        break;
                log(LOG_NOTICE, "%s: optimization changed from SPACE to TIME\n",

	-Andre