Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:26:19 +0100
From:      "Florent Thoumie" <flz@xbsd.org>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFT: adding configuration file support to pkg_install

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Philip M. Gollucci
<pgollucci@p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
>>
>> This adds support for /etc/pkg.conf configuration file.
>> Also, this adds support for naive multi-site package fetching.
>>
>> Any comment welcome (and appreciated).
>>
>> Patch is here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/ports/pkg-install-config.diff
>> Tarball is here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/ports/pkg-install-0a553aac.tar.bz2
>
> Hi flz,
>
> I don't quite get what the end goal is.  It looks like /etc/pkg.conf is
> duplicating a lot of things already in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.
>
> Would not it be better to just have the pkg_install tools read that file
> instead ?
>
> I probably missed all the back story here, so feel free to put me in my
> place.

Packages can be used without a full tree (as Kris mentioned). It can
be argued that using only pkg_install to maintain packages is a PITA,
but it's still possible. The fact that there's no proper tool part of
or on top of pkg_install to do it is irrelevant.

> The multi-site package fetching is definitely something I'm interested it,
> but I also figured it would just iterate over the values in PACKAGESITE
>
> PACKAGESITE=ftp://foo/stdpath/base/Latest/ ftp://foo/stdpath/www/Latest
>
> where base would have things like sudo, bash, vim, etc... and could be used
> on multiple computers.
>
> www would have things like apache22 mod_X and would be used on 'www' class
> machines.

I'm not sure what behaviour you're describing there.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org