Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2018 10:03:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is maximum swap usage tunable?

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 10:30:17PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > I'd look at power. And add more swap.
> >

> Both have now been done. Voltage at the GPIO header is 5.01-5.04,
> idle all the way up to make -j4 buildworld.

What are you using to measure the power with?
The average DMM is not going to see the rapid pulses of
noise that increase with current consumption that can
lead to "odd behavior".  You need a good and fairly
fast scope to truely rule this out.

Also the GPIO header is a good electrical distance
from the SOC and much of the noise would be filtered
out before then.

But atleast you have confirmed your not sagging VCC down
to 4.75 or 4.5 as I have seen on some of the power power
bricks used to run *Pi*'s with.

It would probably be benificial if someone could duplicate
to a reasonable degree your failure mode, this would make
a hardware related problem less likely as the cause.

> Swap was increased to 3 GB in two partitions on the microSD, with
> the usb-flash partition turned off for now.

...  Axe applied for brief reply ...