Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 19:28:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Graham Gillies <graham@a2a00266.ok.bconnected.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM interface

In message <19990520171022.E301@g.netfx.net> Graham Gillies writes:
:  Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the APM interface work
: somthing like the NetBSD one, where if the device is held open it doesnt
: process various events, to facilitate and apmd type program to run various
: scripts on diffrent things? Or does this exist and I just didn't notice?

There are vague plans to include support for more than one underlying
power management system.  How that works, and how a powerd would work
with that are a matter that is still open for discussion.  We do want
to move away from apm specific hack in the kernel and user utilities
as much as possible.

Specifically, we'd like to support ACPI in a sane manner, which
includes its power management facilities.

Warner