Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:59:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with iijppp and 2.1.0

I am having some troubles with iijppp and 2.1.0 [while it used to
work fine with a July snap of 2.0.5].

First, a question:

    Is anyone running iijppp between two 2.1.0-RELEASE systems ?

---
This does not work for me.
I am trying to sort out the details, as there are many things
involved (modem type, modem settings, OS release, mgetty configuration
etc.). Still I believe I can say that the problem seems to be with
2.1.0 and not with the rest of the system

I will use the following DEFINITIONS

PPP server: a system which is running mgetty on a serial port,
	where users can log into and, from the shell prompt,
	run "ppp - direct"

PPP client: a system where a user invokes "ppp", then manually dials
	into a PPP server, logs in, and invokes "ppp - direct" on the
	server

SYMPTOMS:

 *  A 2.1.0-RELEASE PPP-server is unable to setup a ppp connection
    with a PPP-client (running 2.1.0-RELEASE as well). The same PPP-client
    works fine with a 2.0.5-9507XX-SNAP PPP-server.

DETAILS:

    I have a total of 4 systems, as follows:

ID		OS			Modem

studenti	2.0.5-9507XX-SNAP	cirrus-logic
cisid		2.1.0-RELEASE		rockwell
labinfo2	2.1.0-RELEASE		rockwell
prova		2.1.0-RELEASE		cirrus-logic

All run mgetty-0.22, hopefully configured appropriately. "studenti" and
"cisid" have a receive-only line, so I cannot use them as PPP-clients.
The others have bidirectional lines.

There is no special setting in the /etc/ppp/* files (basically, they
are as shipped with the releases). I just set, on the PPP-client, the
addresses with "set ifaddr 200.0.0.1 200.0.0.2" and dial manually
giving at commands.

Have done the following cross-tests:

			PPP-client
			labinfo2	prova
PPP-server
studenti		WORKS		WORKS
cisid			NO		NO
labinfo2		--		NO
prova			NO		--

"WORKS" means that everything works fine, the link goes up, and I can
use the IP connection.

"NO" means that I can login, run ppp -direct, then the PPP-client
returns to command mode and says something like "starting packet mode".
>From here on, if I ping the remote side, I don't get any answer.

Looking with netstat at the two systems, I see that the client sends
the packet, the server receives them, replies, but the client does not
get the reply.

As it can be seen, "studenti" works fine (runs 2.0.5). The modem on
"labinfo2" and "prova" should be configured correctly (otherwise they
would not work in client mode).

	Any suggestion ?
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/