Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:34:25 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@direct-source.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and Win95

> > 	I'm trying to replace a Linux Modem Server with a FreeBSD 2.2.6
> > modem server. The problem I'm having is that my Win95 boxes won't connect
> > to the FreeBSD machine.
>
> Can you ping your FreeBSD box from your Win95 boxes?

	Not at all, they don't see each other at all. The Linux box had
DHCP enabled, do I maybe need that? Right now the two 95 machines don't
even seen each other, which leads me to believe that possibly DHCP needs
to be loaded. I've got TCP/IP loaded on both those.

> >I made the /windows/hosts file as was suggested in
> > the handbook, and have changed the Windows Networking stuff as suggested,
> > except for one thing. The DNS server asked for and host name should be my
> > ISP, or the FreeBSD box?
>
> Depends. If you've got a DNS running on your FreeBSD box you'd enter
> it that. If not, use your ISP's.

	That maybe part of the problem, I'm not sure if I have DNS running
right. Would that also be the 192.168.1.4 number?

> Also make sure that /etc/rc.conf has the line:
>
> 	gateway_enable="YES"

	I do have this enabled.

	Thanks for the help. :0

						Rick