Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:19:40 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Michal Meloun <mmel@freebsd.org>, sparc64@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gcc 4.2.1 to be removed before FreeBSD 13, a firm timeline

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 01:56, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Third, we should move up the removal of gcc 4.2.1 to 2020-02-29 as well,
> with a deadline of 2020-01-31 for someone to publish a github branch that
> removes gcc for wide-spread testing. An exception to the gcc rule should be
> made for libunwind until that can be sorted out.

In PR 233664 mmel@ reports that the previous issues with libunwind on
armv6/armv7 are no longer reproducible, and both will be switched over
soon. So there should be no trouble with gcc 4.2.1's removal except
for the sparc64 issues, which include at least:

PR 233405 libunwind
PR 239851 BSD crtbegin
PR 243119 binutils 2.33.1,1 assertion failure (but it has a patch!)