Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:01:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>, Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:27:19 +0200 "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de> wrote:

> Mike Hoskins wrote:
> > Clearly, this process indicates developers should write test cases for
> > their code...  Unfortuneately, the last thing an opensource project needs
> > is more work for the developers.  :)
>
> Yes, I know this argument but I think it  isn't true. Only the start is
> hard but if you have a working test system you are much more flexible
> because you are not afraid that changes can break the system and you
> don't realize it.

I couldn't agree more. Testing discovers bugs at a faster rate than
debugging, at least until the test becomes 'too big'. As a result, it
actually *SAVES* developer time. If this weren't the case, noone would
do it outside of safety-critical systems. The clever bit is knowing when
to stop (ie. how big is too big). Starting should be a no-brainer.

--
Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>