Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:57:29 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        K.J.Bosschaart@tue.nl
Cc:        Tom Kyle <tom@eos.umsl.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scratchy SB PCI 128

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:46:18AM +0200, Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 05:40:41PM +0000, Tom Kyle wrote:
> > Whoops - should have checked this before posting, but I'm still perplexed:
> >
> > Apparently this happens when the load avg goes above 1.0.  I dropped out of X,
> > killed most everything off (including SETI), and was able to play some files
> > just fine.  After some checking, it seems to be dependent on the load avg.  Ie,
> > when the average goes about 1.00, the audio becomes distorted.  Funky.
> >
> > Still, what is causing this?  I've never experienced this with Linux or OpenBSD,
> > but then again I'd previously stuck to SB64 and SB16PnP's.
> >
> It's pretty weird... I'm hearing the scratchy sound as well on a PCI128
> (es1370). It has always been on that machine, starting from 3.2 and it still
> does in 4.1.1. In Windows, sound is perfect, so hardware should be OK. On
> other machines, I have another es1370 that has worked perfectly since 3.1
> up to 4.1.
> I noted that the scratching gets worse when there is a lot of disk activity
> (that was in 3.2). Also, I changed irq for the card (by reserving the irq
> in the BIOS for ISA, so it's forced to use another one) and it has the
> same scratch.
> I don't really know where to search... :-(. The system having trouble is
> SCSI only, while the other systems have also IDE or are IDE only. Don't
> know if that could be a clue.

Hmm, don't think so. I keep reading about problems with SB PCI128's yet
mine has *always* worked fine under -STABLE (3.x and 4.x). I've got an
all-SCSI system too.

One thing though that might be a clue; mine is actually a PCI128 Value. I
believe that the "value" was added when they brought the Live! card out and
also the Value cards have fewer sockets on the backplate than the non-Value
ones (so slightly different hardware?).

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x6800-0x683f irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0

> I think this 'scratch problem' has come up several times, but I never saw
> a solution.
>
> Karel.

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie