Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        ekke@computer-solutions.ab.ca (Ekke Loo)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual TTY setup

Ekke Loo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an admitted newbie to the FreeBSD world. I want to be able to set up my
> telnet terminals so that my cursor keys will work in VI and such. What is
> the configuration i have to do on the FreeBSD box to make it ANSI terminal
> compatible when i log in.

What you want to end up with is the TERM variable in environment to
indicate the proper terminal type.  This should happen by magic.

Try it telnetting doing any setup, in other words. See what happens.

If you're having a specific problem, let's see the specifics, like:

"I'm telnetting from the console of a Dyno-Blaster Mark 45, running
DynNucks 55.4 (a SVR2 clone), to a FreeBSD system running 2.2.6.
After logging in, the command "tset - " says "dynocons", but the
arrow keys cause acrid greasy smoke to billow from the Dyno-Blaster's
monitor."

Problems can arise on either host.

The TERM variable should be set on both the host doing the telnet,
and on the host receiving the telnet.  The TERM variable is set
with the command "set term=NAME_OF_TERMINAL" in csh or
"export TERM=NAME_OF_TERMINAL" on Bourne shells. (sh, ksh, bash).

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.