Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 15:26:35 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum, dump and amanda

--7kW37LRKoI6fR2de

On Saturday, 24 May 2003 at 19:14:04 +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After fixing my vinum problem, it tried backing this vinum-baby up.
> It's a raid 5 running 170Gb on 4 60Gb maxtor disks.
>
> Usually I use amanda for this. And that works flawless on all regular
> partitions on this system. However when dumping the vinum-disk I've already
> had two kernel crashes, both in dump. the box gets into the debugger, and I
> panic it to get some dumps.
>
> I hoped to get some cores, but every time the box tells me:
>     dumping 96M (being the memory size)
>     its reseting the ata stuff
> and then hangs.....
> pressing keys gives me some [ctrl-C....], ....

It would be nice to have more accurate information here.  If you can't
get a dump (how are you trying?), try getting a backtrace from ddb.
Just enter 't' and write down what it outputs (or log it if you're
running a serial console).

> but after a while it just reboots.
> Should it be displaying info while dumping the kernel and stuff???

Yes, it should count down from 96 in steps of 16.

> The more important question: Anybody having the same problems?

Who knows?  You need to report more of what is happening.  I've given
you details of what I need already.

Greg

--7kW37LRKoI6fR2de

--7kW37LRKoI6fR2de--