Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:34:06 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@attbi.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make Installworld fills up / ...help!

>You probably have a small / and are getting bit by softupdates.

That's correct.  I was very new to FreeBSD when I first setup
my home PC and not knowing any better, chose the 'A' option
when setting up my slices.  A couple of months ago, I was down
for a week because / got too full and I couldn't receive email.  The
only way I could figure out to free up some space was to delete
modules.old and kernel.old ( I was really reluctant to do the latter)

>Run 'sync' a lot while the install is running,

Do you mean to start where I left off by dropping to single user,
trying "make installworld" again and then logging into another
terminal and running 'sync' ...?

>or remount / without softupdates.

This sounds like a better approach but how do I do it?

After running "make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL",
I always drop to single user mode like this before doing the
"make installworld":

# shutdown now
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs