Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:39:53 -0400
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

At 02:01 AM 9/15/97 +0000, Giao Nguyen wrote:
>Paul Griffith said:
>> 2)  Do you think on is better off learning the UNIX tools (i.e. shell
>> scripts, pearl, performance tuning, etc.)  than a vendor specific UNIX ?
>
>Erm. Those tools are helpful on all unix systems. The vendors usually
>give you some sort of tools but still a little scripting goes a long
>way.

I think that it's good to start learning tools generally, i.e., become a
knowledgable UNIX user.  There's lots of good books that can get you
started.  But for ascending to the level of System Administrator, there's
nothing that can replace good old fashioned hands-on experience.

I was familiar enough with UNIX to do lots of common chores (edit and move
files, run scripts, read e-mail, etc.), but my knowledge increased
exponentially after I had set up my own Linux and FreeBSD boxes at home.  I
probably could have learned just as much at my office, but you'd be
surprised at how adamantly opposed most SysAdmins are to the idea of giving
users the root password so that they can experiment and learn. ;-)

I also agree with Giao that it takes time with a particular system
(read--time to see and fix a lot of problems on that system) to develop
proficiency.

K.S.