Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:22:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Aaron Clark (John Clark) <jclark1@mdc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, smpatel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32-Bit Soundcard Intialization

> I am a graduate student taking a class in network system administration
> and we are using freebsd as our os. My prof. has a 32-bit soundblaster
> soundcard that is not being properly initialized by freebsd. If the pc is
> brought up in dos and then warm booted into freebsd, the card work
> fine.
>
> I am interested in modify or rewriting the driver for this card, but don't
> know where to start. Any information that anybody could provide would
> greatly appreciated.

This appears to be a PnP initialization issue, and it's been noted by
a number of people - one guy can't get the card to initialize unless
he enables "ICU" configuration in his BIOS, another can't do it at all
unless he does exactly what you did on your professor's machine.

I asked both of them to do what I'm going to recommend to you - talk
to Sujal Patel <smpatel@FreeBSD.org> as the PnP meister and figure
out what bit is missing.  It does appear that the PnP code just isn't
waking the AWE32PnP cards up, even when all of the pnpinfo stuff is
properly enabled, and I'm not sure what the solution is.

If you're interested in working with those other two SB32 owners, both
of whom I'm sure would be happy to help you test and tweak things, you
can reach them as chein@cisco.com and overholt@cisco.com (both test
engineers for cisco :-).

					Jordan