Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:41:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      chaley <chaley@netdot.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> Today, NPR's "Talk of the Nation" discussed alternative operating systems
> (see http://www.npr.org/programs/totn/archives/1998/980724.totn.html for an
> overview and a RealAudio archive). But while they discussed Linux and BeOS,
> FreeBSD wasn't mentioned as an option. James Love (assistant to Ralph
> Nader) and Nick Petreley (InfoWorld columnist) know darn well that FreeBSD
> exists, but talked exclusively about Linux.... Listeners most likely got
> the impression that Linux was THE only freely distributed OS.
>
> This sucks rocks. What's the best way to get such people to acknowledge
> FreeBSD's existence?

I think FreeBSD's time will come.  It is ultra-important that we support
shows like this that attempt to spread the idea that there are options in
the world of OSs.  The FreeBSD community benefits from the growth of the
Linux community because:
* Linux software runs on FreeBSD.
* A large number of faithful FreeBSD users are Linux converts.
Although I would personally recommend FreeBSD over Linux to a friend, I do
not believe we will gain any ground by worrying about Linux...

--

chaley <chaley@netdot.net,chaley@nacholand.com>