Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:44:58 -0600
From:      "Rob Snow" <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SMP 3.0-RELEASE / Samba hard lockups

Greetings,

Spent last night upgrading my home server to a
2xPPro-200/128MB/2940/2940UW/Intel EtherExpress Pro (fxp).  All of this
hardware has been laying around and functioning fine for a year or so.  All
seems well until I try to WRITE to a smb share on the server from my Win98
box.  Server locks hard, nothing to do but big red button.

Some of the troubleshooting I've done:

  samba  - with and without -DUSE_MMAP  Have TCP_NODELAY in smb.conf.  Then
rebuilt from scratch in /usr/ports.

  kernel - Shows up in both Basil-SMP (mine) and SMP-GENERIC, but GENERIC
works like a charm.

  doesn't happen from my Linux box via smbmount of the same filesystem and
doing the same actions as from 98 box.

  Only happens on writes (Hard to tell, but it looks like it's about 3MB
into the write when it fails)

  All three machines are on a 100Mbit switch.  Win98=905b, Linux=905.

  PPro's downclocked to 200 from 233 trying to debug.  (Both have run for
2yrs 233 in Uni systems)

Ideas?