Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:22:04 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        ".Chris Grady" <chris@grady.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jhix@mindspring.com
Subject:   Re: Question

> I know this is a really stupid question but what else would you expect from
> and NT guy. (please don't laugh when you read this.)

Hey! Stop snickering back there! He's trying very hard!  :-)

> I am beginning the long process of ridding myself of Microsoft products and
> at the core of my systems I plan to implement 100% FreeBSD. I have been
> unable to find any books related to FreeBSD.
[snip]

Hi Chris,

Well, you've landed in the right place I assure you.   You'll find that
this process isn't nearly as torturous as you may anticipate.  I shed
Microsoft 100% about three years ago and it's been the best move of
my career.

Here are a couple of books I recommend to newcomers:

 "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey  ISBN: 1-571-76246-9

 "The Design And Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System" by
    Marshall Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael J. Karels and
    John S. Quarterman                 ISBN: 0-201-54979-4

The first is more of a usage guide and specific to FreeBSD, the
second is a textbook format, suitable for a university course
on operating systems and covers the architectural design and
compromises taken during the implementation of BSD4.4

Don't forget the FreeBSD handbook itself - Especially learn
what the ports subsystem is and how to use CVSup to keep
your system updated.  Those are perhaps the first two things
a newcomer should learn.

Truly FreeBSD is a continuously evolving system.  Some of the
very best information available is found in the mail archives and
other online resources.  Make sure to cover the handbook, the newbies
pages, and the links to other FreeBSD sites such as the FreeBSD Diary.

Welcome!

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com