Date:      Sat, 8 May 2004 13:53:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Silencium68 <Silencium68@web.de>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1: Booting Issue

On Saturday 08 May 2004 01:17 pm, Silencium68 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to setup FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a PC, which is equipped with
>
> 	* AMD K6/233
> 	* 256 MB RAM
> 	* Adaptec AHA-1542 (SCSI-Id #7, I/O 0x0330, IRQ 15, DMA 0)
> 	* RealTek RTL8139
> 	* Seagate ST34520N (SCSI-Id #0)
> 	* Quantum Fireball 540S (SCSI-Id #1)
> 	* Matshita CR-8005A (SCSI-Id #6)
> 	* SoundBlaster SB2 (I/O 0x0220, IRQ 2, DMA 1)
> 	* 1,44 MB/3,5" Floppy
>
> Booting from CDROM doesn't work, so I created two floppies, one made
> from kern.flp, the other made from mfsroot.flp, but unfortunately
> booting from the floppies doesn't work either! After replacing the
> boot floppy with the one containing the root file system, the kernel
> says something like
>
> 	AHA invalid DMA setting
>
> and stops after some time asking with file system to continue with.
> When going for ufs:md0 I am ending with the sysinstall, but I can't
> install anything because not a single disk can be found!
>
> How can I solve this one?

Look at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware-i386.html#AEN65

You may have to set the device hints like they describe in the man page
for ahc. I think they are located in /boot/device.hints but I don't
have my 5-current system running right now.

Also, you want to read the sbc man page and setup your SoundBlaster
using those defaults. If you use the defaults, it is much easier. These
are all available off of the freebsd 5.2.1 web site.

If these hints don't work and a more knowledgeable answer(s) popup, you
should ask on freebsd-current. This isn't a -hackers problem.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA