Date:      Tue,  9 Jul 96 15:44:44 +0000
From:      Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Parallel laplink abuse leads to death of kernel secondary timer]

> Yow, this one's pretty cool! :-)  I guess we always knew that PLIP was a
> high-overhead proposition, but it's interesting to see that it only
> croaks on the Pentium.

However, most Pentium systems are new enough to have ECP-capable parallel ports, which could in principle give a much lower overhead if someone had the time to work on the driver....

Note that with the current driver, the overhead will be maximised with two systems of very different performance talking to each other, since the fast system will spend lots of time in a busy loop waiting for the other to respond.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?"11605-960709154831-76DC*/G=Andrew/S=Gordon/O=NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd/PRMD=NET-TEL/ADMD=Gold 400/C=GB/">