Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:26:32 +0200
From:      Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd@orchid.homeunix.org>
To:        Josh Hansen <lists@josh.aros.net>
Cc:        rob gabaree <robg.list@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: how to tell source code versions?

On 2004-09-11 07:33, Josh Hansen wrote:
> rob gabaree wrote:
>

>>hi guys:
>>
>>im pretty new and just recompiled my kernel with cvsup (using src-all)
>>and uname -a prints:
>>
>>FreeBSD xxx 4.10-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p2 #1: Fri Sep 10
>>18:01:49 EST 2004     root@xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XCAGE2  i386
>>
>>i used the RELENG_4_10 tag to do this, but im wondering if someone
>>could tell me where to go to find out the latest source code, ex the
>>above was -RELEASE-p2.. is p2 the latest? where can i find the latest
>>info so i know i ahve the most up to date one?
>>
>>thanks
>>

> It's all about the tags.  RELENG_4_10 will give you FreeBSD
> 4.10-RELEASE, the -p2 means there have been 2 patches for it since it
> was released and you have them.  Tthe RELEASE branch only gets bugfixes
> and security updates.  If you want, say, 4.10-STABLE, which will
> eventually become 4.11, use the tag RELENG_4.  There is a section on
> these tags in the FreeBSD Handbook that fully explains them.
>
> -Josh

If I understand Rob correctly all he needs is /usr/src/UPDATING file
(after updating the source tree).

here's mine on *FreeBSD 5*:

# head -30 /usr/src/UPDATING
Updating Information for FreeBSD 5.2.1 users

[...snip...]

The security advisories related to various patches contain information
on how to build/install a minimal set of binaries and start/stop a
minimal number of processes, if possible, for that patch.  For those
updates that don't have an advisory, or to be safe, you can do a full
build and install as described in the COMMON ITEMS section.

20040630:       p9      FreeBSD-SA-04.13.linux
        Correct an input validation error in the linux binary
        compatibility code.

20040526:       p8      FreeBSD-SA-04:11.msync
--END--

cheers,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski  <freebsd at orchid dot homeunix dot org>