Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:36:29 +0800
From:      Shaun Dwyer <sdwyer@arach.net.au>
Cc:        Paul Boehmer <paul@pboehmer.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.3.0 Matrox/MultiHead (Long!)

I just tested with an S3 virge. It has the same problem.

However, its a process called 'Xfree86' which consumes the CPU (I was wrong when
i previously
said it was xdm.

If I configure X to just use the matrox card (or the virge) it locks the console up,
and nothing is displayed on the matrox/virge.

Testing with the S3 virge, If in the bios I set the PCI graphics card to be
init'd first, X will
start on the virge fine when its configured as the only display. If I set it to
use the Nvidia
card only, It hangs and locks the console with the 'XFree86' process using all
available CPU.
The same goes for if the AGP card is set to init first in the bios, the PCI
Virge/Matrox wont
work at all.

with the bios set to init the PCI card first, when I try to fire up xdm with
dual head mode enabled,
I get the crosshatch from the S3 card, and nothing on the Nvidia card.

I get the impression that whats failing is the (int10?) initialisation of the
2nd display
that isnt initialised by the motherboard bios. This probably isnt a port issue,
but an Xfree86 4.3.0
issue. This is assuming that the problem isnt with the Nvidia card's driver.
(the only thing
that has remained constant.

Have you done any further investigation yet Paul?

--Shaun