Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:10:32 -0400
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetchmail - problems with ssl since upgrade to 6.3.16

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:56:19 +0200, Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
articulated:

> Hi,
>
> Recently during portupgrades fetchmail also got upgraded to
> 6.3.16. Since then I'm experiencing problems when trying to fetch
> mails from a pop server via ssl.
>
> Here's the error message I'm getting:
>
> fetchmail: Issuer Organization: <anonymized>
> fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: <anomymized>
> fetchmail: Server CommonName: <anomymized>
> fetchmail: <anonymized> key fingerprint: <anonymized>
> fetchmail: <anonymized> fingerprints match.
> fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: self signed
> certificate 34381474120:error:14090086:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify
> failed:s3_clnt.c:1056: fetchmail: SSL connection failed.
>
> The above message normally indicates that the cert on the server might
> have changed. This however is definitely not the case (I'm managing
> the server myself).
>
> Asking google I found a similar report relating to fetchmail 6.3.16
> (as in my case) under Linux:
>
> http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19043
>
> So my questions are:
>
> o) Has anybody else, using fetchmail with ssl, experienced the same
> problems after a recent upgrade of fetchmail under FreeBSD?
>
> o) Any known cure against it?
>
> Last but not least, here's my config:
>
> FreeBSD 7.3 recent as per April 09,2010. Fetchmail 6.3.16, openssl
> 1.0.0

You have obfuscated all of the data so there is no way for anyone to
verify your conclusions. The message indicates that you are using a
self-signed certificate. That warning message is normal. Are you
attempting to verify the certificate with fetchmail? If so, remove the
check an retry the process.

You might be better served on the fetchmail forum.

--
Jerry
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

Anger kills as surely as the other vices.