Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:38:03 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Isaac Levy <ike@lesmuug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-7.0 MULTIPLE-IPs

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Isaac Levy wrote:

Hi ike,

> I first learned Marko Zec's work on the virtual IP stack at EuroBSDCon 2007:
> http://2007.eurobsdcon.org/tutorial-virtualized-network-stack.html

If you knew about things that happened at BSDCan 2008;-) Where have you been?

> However, Bjoern Zeeb has resumed a jail-specific multi-ip implimentation- the
> current status seems to be updated soemwhat frequently here (yay!):
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Jails#head-27743b977485318e421b24962498cf007f70dacf
>
> "The multi-IPv4/v6 jails project was resumed in early January after previous
> work had been abandoned in 2006.
> As an alternate solution to full network stack virtualization, this work
> shall provide a lightweight solution for multi-IP virtualization. Perforce
> based on FreeBSD 7.x?/8.x"
>
> Sadly for you however, at the time of this writing, it seems the 7.x patches
> are 'in progress'.

Well the entire things is "in progress" and as this is a FAQ the
RELENG_7 patch that is out there is a bit outdated and I am working on
an updated version as soon as I have tested what is in p4 on HEAD and
feel that it still is as stable as the old patch was.
BTW. Any HEAD version would be as old as the RELENG_7 one.

Go here to find your way to the (old but stable) patch:
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2008-01-2008-03.html#Multi-IPv4/v6/no-IP-jails

I'll keep people updated on this list as soon as I have anything new.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb              Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.