Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:36:33 +1030
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        "Anthony M. Magsino" <ammag@kulog.upm.edu.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdm

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:12:24PM +0800, Anthony M. Magsino wrote:

> Hi.  Can anybody tell me how to make gdm work in FreeBSD-4.3?  I've read
> all documentations in the CD and yes, they warned that gdm might or might
> not work.  Xdm worked fine. but I want gdm.  Thanks.

I installed GDM 2.2.3.2 from ports recently, and I've not been able to
get much happening either.

However, there seems to be two problems manifesting themselves
here. Firstly, in my /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Init/Default file (the script
that gdm will execute once the X server has started), gdmlogin seemed
to be commented out or nonexistant.[1]

I added gdmlogin to Init/Default, and that managed to pop up something
vaugely intelligent. gdmlogin was complaining that I was running
different versions of the daemon (gdm) and the gdmlogin program. Odd,
seeing as I installed straight from ports.

That seems to be a step in the right direction. I'll follow this up on
Monday[2] when I've got Ethernet-speed Internet connection to work
with. I'll post any results along with the instructions to get the
beast working (if it'll work at all).

   - andrew

[1] I can't remember exactly -- I was playing with it at 3:00AM last
    night.

[2] I'm sending this on Sunday, Nov 18 at  20:34:36 +1030, but it'll
    probably sit in the local mail queue on my notebook until
    Monday. The whole concept of dialup is something I try to avoid
    :-)

--
Andrew J. Reid                    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem
andrew.reid@plug.cx               mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane