Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:04:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Administrator IPA <administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, mikea wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:45:49PM +0100, Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
> > I have a similar problem with a ASUS CUV4X-DLS
> > Dual CPU motherboard it is using VIA CHIPSET
> > as well and I have lockups , the system
> > freezes but I am still able to ping the machine
> > this is very strange , however nothing else works
> >
> > I have no problems running these machine in single
> > CPU mode but when I run SMP it does have freezing
> > problems
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:28:04 +0100
> > Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> wrote:
> >
> > > I have been running a dual processor machine for about three months. It is
> > > based on a Microstar 694 motherboard with VIA chipsets (see attached).
> > >
> > > I started with 4.4-stable  and went through 4.5RC to 4.5 stable. Since a
> > > couple of weeks or so (don't know exactly) I'm having regular lockups with
> > > SMP kernels. and because the system freezes completely I see no traces as to
> > > what is going on. The only way to recover is to pull the plug.
> > >
> > > I would be most grateful for information on a) how to try to find out what is
> > > happening and b) if anybody else have similar problems.
> > >
> > > Same machine with GENERIC kernel do not exhibit any problems.
> >

> > GENERIC is not using SMP
>
> Responding to ping means that _something_ is alive, deep down
> inside the IP stack. Have you tried to telnet in?
>
> I just ordered a TYAN Tiger 2505 last night; I'll put it in over
> the weekend and see what happens with it. IIRC, it also uses the
> VIA chipset. I tend to run one copy of Setiathome per processor,
> and so the processors are never really idle.
>
> --
> Mike Andrews
> mikea@mikea.ath.cx
> Tired old sysadmin since 1964

Hello out there.

We have several SMP machines around here, one is a ASUS CUV4X-D based
system. This machine never have had any lockups as you described.

Another system, a TYAN Thunder 2500/Slot 1 system with ServerWorks ServerSet III/HE
chipset had today its 'spontanous' reboot.

With TYAN's mainboard I had a lot of trouble and it seems not to be only a issue of the
chipset itself!
TYAN Thunder and ASUS CUV4X-D have problems with IRQs, I guess, especially when using more
than one Intel EtherExpress (fxp) NIC.
Our TYAN Thunder SMP machine ran the last 7 months without any sign of reboot under heavy
load, and I cvsupdate weekly or nearly every second day (RELENG_4). And yesterday I did the
last cvsupdate and today I fall back into the weird spontanous reboots.

It seems really weird to me ...

By the way: we do not use any ATA device on all machines, both SMP systems use AMI MegaRAID
or Enterprise RAID controler (PCI 64/66 in TYAN and in a 32 Bit slot in the ASUS ...).

Oliver
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)