Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:28:54 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        <lawrence.petrykanyn@sympatico.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Disc Won't Boot

At 12:49 PM 8/24/2007, lawrence.petrykanyn@sympatico.ca wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I am unable to boot from 6.2-RELEASE i386-disc1.iso.  I have
>   downloaded it and burned it three times without success.
>
>   I am currently running Win98SE and FreeBSD 5.4 on a dual boot.  I had
>   decided to reformat my hard drives so I reinstalled Win98SE and would
>   like to install FreeBSD 6.2.  I downloaded the disc 1 iso image and
>   burned it to a disc in Win98.  I had to boot from my CDrom to
>   reinstall Win98 so I know that my boot priority is correct and that my
>   CDrom is working properly.  I looked at the burned cd with the
>   6.2-RELEASE i386-disc1.iso file on it in FreeBSD 5.4 and everything
>   appears to be there, including a folder called 'boot'.  But I just
>   can't seem to boot from it.
>
>   1.  Is there something simple I'm missing?
>   2.  Should I just try downloading (it takes four hours) and burning
>   more copies again?  (I've already done it three times...)
>   3.  Is the fact that I'm burning it in Win98 a problem?
>   4.  Is there anything I can do in FreeBSD 5.4 to see if the file is
>   corrupted?
>
>   BTW - I installed FreeBSD 5.4 from discs that I purchased through
>   FreeBSD Mall.  I thought I would do it from the 6.2-RELEASE
>   i386-disc1.iso file on FreeBSD's web site this time.
>
>   Any suggestions, advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   Thanks,
>   Larry

Is the CD you burn readable under windows or FreeBSD?  If it is readable,
check your BIOS settings and turnoff any video ram shadow, if it is turned on.

I have one older system which I thought had trouble booting the 6.2
disc.  I tried my disc out on another system, and saw when this boots it
puts up the FreeBSD boot menu, and waits for response.  After seeing this,
and turning off the video shadow, I tried to boot it on my older server
again.  This time I was seeing the bootmenu 10 second countdown, while none
of the other boot menu was visible.  After hitting enter a couple times the
countdown started ticking down, and the system booted and launched
sysinstall.  I was able then to do a upgrade on this server from 5.5 to 6.2.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.