Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 15:19:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD issues at iServer!!!

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Quoting Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >

> > > First of all, Iserver became unprofitable and ran out of money and
> > > was acquired by Verio in 1998.  In case you don't know this,
> > > Iserver is a brand of Verio's, just like Oldsmobile is a brand
> > > of General Motors.  By now, any vestige of the original company has
> > > undoubtedly long since been erased.
> > >

> > Hmmm, that is interesting. I was told a different story. I went to
> > school
> > with the founder of iServer. He told me that when Verio was snatching
> > up
> > web hosting companies that iServer was the only one that they purchased
> > that was profitable, and they let them stay pretty much independent
> > since
> > they had their act together.
>
> Well, that's good to hear - of course the $64 question is why sell out then,
> but if it's the case then they are unique among Verio's acquisitions.
>
> > Before the purchase, when iServer was a
> > little more than a year old, they were valued at $20M. They had ~5000
> > hosting customers at an average of $75.00/mo which is $4.5M per year
> > and
> > growing.
> >
> > At the time, they had just moved into a new building and had only a
> > handfull of employees. Their systems and racks were custom made and top
> > of
> > the line. All in all, a very sophisticated system.
> >
> > After Verio purchased them, I think they migrated all their customers
> > to the West Virginia data center.
> >

> Hmmm...  Kind of starts to cast a little doubt on Verio letting them remain
> independent, then.

iServer had put a lot of effort into being able to remotely manage their
servers. Other than needing a low skilled worker to --go to server A4 and
pull drive #2 and replace it with drive type C.-- I think the new data
center had a lot to offer and location was less of an issue. But this is
just conjecture on my part.

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org