Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:59:55 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, gabriel <normal1.lists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 5.3 and building world

On Sunday 06 March 2005 11:17 am, gabriel wrote:
> Alright so when upgrading to 5.3 from 5.2 I cvsuped the source which
> obviously got GENERIC overwritten. My question is, besides the
> instructions on /usr/src/Makefile(?) is there another way to update
> the source and be able to specify a custom kernel?

There is a whole chapter on configuring your own kernel. They show you
how to cp GENERIC to your own name and then use it. See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

They show you both the config way and the new build[install]kernel way
of maintaing your kernel. I log everything and have the individual
commands in shell scripts so that a mistake won't do something
unexpected.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart