Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:37:46 -0700
From:      Mahlon Smith <reich@internetcds.com>
To:        GARGIULO Eduardo INGDESI <YAPEDU@SIDERAR.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw questions

You can't really protect against port scanners without blocking
the port entirely.  There isn't much of a point to it anyway, you
can't provide a service and show it as unavailable simultaneously.

However, you can be notified of who's doing it with 'snort' out of
ports, and complain to their abuse dept.  Sometimes is works.

Look into the dummynet features of ipfw to bandwidth limit icmp
flooding at your router, works well.

If the windows boxes behind your router are still capable of being taken
down by the ping of death... I think you probably have other issues that
need worked out first.  Like upgrading.
(Unless there is a new one I don't know about, that exploit is about 6
years old)

-Mahlon

--
Mahlon Smith