Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 11:50:59 +0200
From:      "Ph. Schulz" <ph.schulz@gmx.de>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No mouse in X, Dell Inspiron 5150

> the new Nvidia package and my current XF86Config section for
> the mouse looks like this:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "Mouse1"
>     Driver      "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
>     Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"

I think "Protocol" should be "Auto" if you're going to use
"/dev/sysmouse" as the "Device". Of course, moused(8) needs to run for
this to work.

> Once again the mouse was not detected during a
> /stand/sysinstall configuration attempt either.

  Please check your dmesg(8) to see if the system recognizes it.

  I'm not familiar with your laptop, but I think that those built-in
mice in laptops should come up just like a normal ps/2 connected mouse.
In this case you might want to disable moused(8) in /etc/rc.conf and
instead start it from the console to get more verbose output. Try to
runn it with

	moused -d -f -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2

  Hopefully moused(8) spits out some error messages which might help do
diagnose the problem further.

Phil.