Date:      Wed, 18 May 2005 22:24:52 -0700
From:      Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD legal question

On May 18, 2005, at 8:08 PM, Danny Pansters wrote:

> On Thursday 19 May 2005 04:32, Francisco Reyes wrote:

>>> Although you DO need to carry the accreditation.
>>>

>> Wasn't that restriction later removed too?
>>

> That6's the advertising clause which rewuired any advertising
> material to
> claim something like "Includes stuff from *BSD". That has long been
> taken
> out, but there's some projects that still have it.

I believe what Francisco refers to is the requirement to keep the
copyright notices intact for the code you modify.
(i.e. you can't just "find" some code under the BSD license, change
all the copyright notices and claim you wrote it all)

The advertising clause, IIRC(and I may not be) said you couldn't use
the names of any copyright holders in advertising products based on
the licensed code.

> The acknowledgementment means in source code original license and
> credits and
> in binary some cridits for example in the help|about or the man
> page. Where
> it's most appropriate (though the legalese doesn't specifically say
> that
> because of course it opens up a debate about the definition of
> "appropriate" ;-)
>
> IANAL

Me neither, brother. If you need *real* legal advice on GPL vs. BSDL
issues find a good copyright lawyer, grease up and prepare to be
boarded. Cuz' they don't come cheap, generally.