Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:30:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Michael Ranner <rmike@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS: Problem with portmap (fwd)

Hi there!

I like to mount a FreeBSD partition from several PC's. Now I have some
problems: I have NOT choosen "NFS Server" at installation time and so I
tried to turn on the NFS server in /etc/sysconfig. nfsd and mountd are
both running. I have also installed rpc.pcnfsd. But the problem occures in
conjunction with portmap.

If I try to run "rpcinfo -b nfs 2" I get a error message like this:

portmap["pid"] ... callit(nfs) request not forwarded

(Sorry for the unaccurate error message, I don't sit in front of the
machine at the moment)

I will also get this message, if any of the PC's tries to search for an
NFS server.

I have no problem with "rpcinfo -b pcnfsd 2"!

On my private FreeBSD machine I don't have this problem, I had installed
it with "NFS Server" option checked at installation time.

I have checked several manpages and configuration files FAQ and FreeBSD
Handbook, I have also looked into the mailing list archive, but I didn't
found a solution for my problem.

Thanks,

/\/\ike