Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:07:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Alich <hostmaster@cctinc.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Child Processes

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Mike Alich wrote:

> I am wondering if you can help.
>
> I have a web server running and it is under thousands of requests per
> day, about 500,000 for just one site.  The problem I am having is cgi's
> can not run because the web server is telling me it can't spawn child
> process because resources are temporarily unavailable.
>
> What can I do to stop this problem?  Is there a setting in the kernel or
> where can I go.  I have been trying to tweak Apache but no luck there...

some apache tweaks that have worked for me:

raise maxchildrequests to something like 300 or more.
make sure limits are off, probably via 'ulimit'
bump maxusers to something like 256.

since you didn't give a single hint as to your hardware config
i'll stop here as i don't want to bump limits so high that it
overloads your machine.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> p.s. I am running 2.2.8 FreeBSD.

it'd probably be advisable to upgrage to 3.3-stable as soon
as you can.

-Alfred