Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:08:56 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   upgrading from 5.4-RELEASE-p4 to 5.4-RELEASE-p5

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

There was a new security announcement a couple days ago regarding the
devfs subsystem in FreeBSD.  The announcement is here:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-05:17.devfs.asc

My question is regarding the upgrade and patch description.  I am
running 5.4_RELEASE-p4.  The alert suggests either patching and
rebuilding the kernel or upgrading to 5.4-RELEASE-p5.  If I decide to
upgrade my source, would it be sufficient (and safe) to just rebuild
the kernel, or do I still need to rebuild world?

The only files changed between my last build and this one are
 src/UPDATING
 src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
 src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_vnops.c

And for such a small change (I checked the patch, it's literally a 2
line change - sanity check of parameters for the defvs_mknod() call -
plus commentary), would it really be necessary to go through the
mergemaster process?  (from my POV, this is the most tedious and error
prone part of the whole process).

TIA
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Tact, n.:
  The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw--