Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:56:41 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 x P4 2.2GHz Supermicro P4DP6 and Linux Emulation

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 11:56:43AM +0200, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> The OODB we use (Versant) is released for a Red Hat 7.1 system.
> This means I need to build a compatible run time environment
> at least.
> It would be even better if I could manage to create a build
> environment as well (which needs a certain gcc release to
> be able to compile against the OODB libs) to rebuilt our
> backend software on the box.

I have an unfinished linux_devtools-7.1  here:

	http://www.xcllnt.net/~marcel/linux_devtools-7.tar.gz

It installs, but the package list is bogus. It will not deinstall
cleanly.

> This means I need some information about the two
> Linux emulation ports (6.1 and 7.1) in the ports collection.
> I need RH 7.1 compatibility - does this mean I can just
> add that 7.1 linux port, or would it interfere with the
> already installe 6.1 linux port?

It interferes. Rename /compat/linux to /compat/linux-6.1 before you
install 7.1

> Has any other crazy person already tried to make use
> of the Linux emulation on a SMP box?

Yes, but this was during the 3.x/4.x days. I don't have an SMP box
for which linux emulation is ported anymore (ie alpha and i386). I
don't see why it shouldn't just work (modulo bugs of course).

HTH,