Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 20:11:15 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Managing USB device names

On Friday 25 May 2007 14:12:19 Kevin Downey wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@quietwind.net> wrote:
> > I am using USB to connect an external disk drive. It seems to get
> > assigned a different device name when it connects in. The names seem to
> > cycle through /dev/da* where * is changing on each disconnect and
> > reconnect.
> >
> > With this going on I can't add a /etc/fstab entry.
> >
> > Is there a tool/package that can manage things so that when I plug in
> > the device it will get mounted to a specific directory without manual
> > intervention ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >     Chris Kottaridis    (chriskot@quietwind.net)
>
> man glabel

i use sysutils/desktopbsd-tools.  not quite automatically, but you click on
the volume to mount, and it does it.  youll need to check their wiki on their
site under 'tips and howtos' (i think it was) to get all the particulars
ready (devfs.rules changes, etc etc).  ive been pretty happy with it.
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org