Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:35:22 -0500
From:      Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
To:        "B.Bonev" <b_bonev@mail.orbitel.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scheme for securing LAN

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:32:31PM +0300, B.Bonev wrote:
> Hi FreeBSDers, I have a simple question.
>=20
> What scheme for securing LAN is better?
>=20
> =20
>=20
>                                     Internet
>=20
>=20
> Apache          _____ FreeBSD ____LAN
>=20
> Web Server                Firewall
>=20
> =20
>=20
> or
>=20
>                                    Internet
>=20
>=20
>                                    FreeBSD
>=20
>                                    Firewall
>=20
>=20
>                                    Apache
>=20
>                                     Web Server
>=20
>=20
>                                    FreeBSD
>=20
>                                    Firewall
>=20
>=20
>                                       LAN
>=20
> =20
>=20
> What are advantages and disadvantages of two?
>=20
> I know that is much more important how tuned Firewalls, Web Server and wo=
rkstations behind are.
>=20
> Is there any difficulty for workstations that should works in Internet, b=
ecause of two Firewalls?

Not really. You'll have the advantage of a secured DMZ but, the real
question is, do you really need the added complexity? You need to say more
about *why* you want to do this? How many users are you supporting? What's
coming off the web server? etc.

--=20
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/