Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 21:47:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Jon Groves <jgroves@athenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free DSB

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Jon Groves wrote:

> I do not understand how you can say that "Free DSB" is free, If it cost $40
> to get the CD-ROM from Walnut Creek CD-ROM CO. I would like to get a copy of
> the software, is there some one other than Walnut Creek to get it from?? I

Are you lamenting the cost of the CD's or the fact that you don't have a
CDROM?  If it is the cost, then you can get a watered down version from
Cheap*Bytes (sorry Walnut Creek, I will always purchase from you!) at
www.cheapbytes.com. ($5 + shipping)  Mind this however, you really DO get
what you pay for.  This isn't a slam on CheapBytes as much as a praise to
Walnut Creek for their product.

But keep in mind also, you are not paying for the OS, you are paying for
the _media_.  These wonderful folks can write and maintain code and GIVE
IT AWAY until they are blue in the face (and I am sure that some do!) but
the big question is....how do they get that product IN your computer?
Well, SOMEONE has to PAY for the means with which it gets to you.  (any 4
P's of marketing folks out there?  this is the "Place" "P".)

Consider that (I THINK) all people here would like to see FreeBSD used AS
MUCH AS POSSIBLE (or at LEAST as much as is SANE).  With that as a stated
goal...having anyone but the USER pay for the distribution costs is
unreasonable.  If the desired world audience for it were...say...5 users?
then this list wouldn't be here and _I_ could pay the FULL distribution
costs of the OS...which, however, I am not going to do.

> prefer the 3.5'' DISKS because I do not have a CD-ROM drive on the computer
> I plan to install on, and not FTP because the speed of my connection and
> distance from your server to me is to slow and to far for a fast download.

I think that your absolute best option here is to GET a CDROM (one
supported by FreeBSD) and then purchase one of the two CD's mentioned
above.  For quite honestly LESS than the (PUKE!) price of a (PUKE!)
Winblows 98 "upgrade" (PUKE!) you will get the CDROM and the CD's and on
the road to excellence with one terrific platofrm.  You get an OS that you
LEGALLY share with your friends as MUCH as you want.  You get an OS that
YOU can fix if you don't like it.  You get an OS unencumbered by
copyright, and you get an OS for which technical support will ALWAYS be
accurate and FREE.

Maybe I am being presumtious but I doubt that anyone here is going to burn
the floppies for you...the SECOND best thing to do is to start
downloading...Greg Lehey (www.lemis.com) has a thing on his page about
"what to download" to install it.

Best Wishes...