Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:57:33 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd stops

Two 3.3-RELEASE machines are experiencing the same thing: logging stops
every so often, probably at a time that logs are rotated. Both machines
are used to receive logs from other machines as well, if that matters.

When logging stops, both local and remote origin log entries stop being
written, and there are no more of those pesky messages to root's
console either. It all just stops. Sending a sighup to syslogd doesn't
help. The only way is to completely kill it and restart syslogd.

I found a very similar problem in the archives written two years ago,
but there wasn't any response that I could see via threading.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-