Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 12:04:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't finish booting (REPOST)

Sorry for the repost, but my subscription to "current" must have
disappeared while I was on vacation.

Greetings,
	I installed a new motherboard in my computer to get a DMA capable
IDE controller.  Now I cannot boot at all.  When the system boots, it goes
through the entire start up, and gets to a message that says:

	changing root device to wd1s3a

Then it sits there forever (overnight okay 8).  I can boot from the
boot/fixit disks and install new kernels, so I did (with debug enabled).
After the system had paused, I did a trace from DDB (multiple times), they
ALL looked like.

	_sgetc(2, 0, f01e6ra0, 91a, 0)			_sgetc+0xd21
	_scintr(0, 80000000, 10, 10, 0)			_scintr+0x17
	Xresume1()					Xresume1+0x2b
	--- interrupt, eip = 0xf0192d81, esp = 0xf01bbff4, ebp = 0
	_default_halt()					_default_halt+0x1

My system is:
	430TX motherboard
	Pentium 200MHz MMX
	3.4G Drive C	(Dos partition wd0s0,
			 ExtDos partition wd0s1,
			 Linux partition wd0s2,		/* Dont ask 8) */
			 Linux Swap partition wd0s3)
	2.1G Drive D	(Dos partition wd1s0,
			 ExtDos partition Wd1s1,
			 BSD partition wd1s3)
	Matrox Millenium	PCI Slot 2
	DE210??			PCI Slot 3
	Adaptec 2940		PCI Slot 1
	Bravado 1000		PCI Slot 0
	Sound Blaster Card

	Any suggestions?
	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ root@bmccane.cavtech.com
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~bmccane/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"        \