Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:24:31 +0700
From:      Inu Wikantiyoso <inu@sby.centrin.net.id>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound Configuration

My sound card is an ESS1868 and FreeBSD detects it as ESS688 (same on
Linux) and says it compatible with SoundBlaster Pro. (same on Linux,
too).

and this is my sound section in kernel :

controller	snd0
device	sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
device  opl0	at isa? port 0x808

rebooting was runs smoothly with new kernel as shown in dmesg :

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
Hmm.. Could this be an ESS688 based card (rev 11)
Note! SB Pro support required with your soundcard!
snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
opl0 at 0x808 on motherboard
snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>

but, I didn't found any mixer and sndstat at my /dev directory ? I made
a mixer file using :
mknod mixer c 14 0
(the major and minor number are same on Linux)
but it still doesn't work wit xmix (it says " /dev/mixer doesn't
configured yet").

anybody can help with this problem ? and btw, what's the difference
between /dev/MAKEDEV and /dev/MAKEDEV.local ?

Thank You ... sorry for this newbie's question ;), I'm really a newbie.

Inu Wikantiyoso             | FreeBSD Headquarter
[unix, guitar and the cats] | http://www.freebsd.org