Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 02:49:55 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic, possibly MAC related

--aYrjF+tKt+ApYAdb

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:17:14AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
> On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Christian Brueffer wrote:
>=20
> > just got this panic on my notebook. Had to manually shut it down after a
> > acpiconf -s 4. At the next bootup, the panic occured.  At the moment I'm
> > trying to boot into my system again to reproduce it.=20
>=20
> In general, this panic occurs in the following situation: each mbuf packet
> header has a label structure in it, and the Biba policy stores a per-label
> allocated label blob using malloc'd memory.  If the packet header is
> copied using the copypacket abstractions, then the reference will be
> duplicated as will the label data, so each resulting reference will be
> separately handled and free'd.  However, if the packet header data is
> blindly copied without invoking the normal header replication code, then
> the same pointer will sit in the new packet header as the old one.  When
> the two mbufs are free'd, the first one goes fine, but the second one is a
> duplicate free.  So somehow you managed to trigger a code path that
> improperly copies packet headers.  Do you have any information on what
> process it was that was performing the recvfrom()?  One of the code paths
> that may present a problem in the base system implementation is a packet
> copy for alignment purposes in the KAME code.  Another possibility is that
> we've seen a regression in existing handling of something like the
> fragmentation code, broadcast/multicast, etc.  Knowing what's in the
> packet and what process it is would help a lot in debugging this.  Also,
> it would be useful to know what interface this mbuf originated from, if
> possible.
>=20
> So if it's reproduceable, you want to show the pcpu data to find the pid,
> then us ps to identify the process.  If you have gdb set up (either live
> or a dump), seeing the mbuf ifnet pointer value would be valuable, as well
> as knowing the domain, type, etc of the socket in question.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories
>=20

Hi,

seems like I'm finally able to reproduce the panic.  It seems to happen
when I play around with acpi stuff, especially the hw.acpi.cpu*
settings.
Unfortunately this has the side effect, that the panic occurs at every
boot, so I haven't found a way to get back into the system yet
(unset acpi_load at the loader prompt doesn't help).

I'm not too familiar with kernel debugging too, so you would probably
have to tell me what to type in.

- Christian

--=20
http://www.unixpages.org			chris@unixpages.org
GPG Pub-Key    : www.unixpages.org/cbrueffer.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D
GPG Key ID     : 0xA0ED982D

--aYrjF+tKt+ApYAdb

--aYrjF+tKt+ApYAdb--