Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:00:27 -0700
From:      "Darren Spruell" <phatbuckett@gmail.com>
To:        "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd08@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote x session

On Dec 30, 2007 7:16 PM, Jonathan Horne <freebsd08@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 December 2007 02:35:05 am Steve Franks wrote:
> > Perhaps I misunderstand, but I use x11vnc on the 'server' and
> > vncviewer or tightvnc on the 'client'.  There are several pages to
> > google on tunneling it thru ssh, and it's much better with latency
> > than sending x iteslf over ssh, I'm told.  If you start x11vnc with no
> > options, it will export the current session/desktop, but there is a
> > switch to have it spawn a new x session also.  All the other vnc ports
> > only spawn new sessions, and I usually use it to help my wife fix
> > problems when I'm away at the office ;)
> >
> > Best,
> > Steve
>
> well ultimately, im looking for something that i can operate a headless server
> with.  the server itself wouldnt be pre-logged into any x session (be it kde,
> gnome, xfce or whatever), so thats why im trying to get its x session into a
> window of my local desktop.

There is the XDMCP option, which allows you to remotely connect to an
X display manager for full, remote display sessions. This isn't
regarded to be a secure solution by most people.

If your remote system is a server, do you have a need for remote
desktop access? If you have one or two X applications on the remote
server, could you just get by with SSH X11 forwarding to access those
applications from your management station's display?

DS